Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2022

An Anti-Nazir

We have always had people who want to be super frum, even if only for a limited time.  No wine.  No volunteering for the Chevre Kadisha.  Hairdo in the style of Jesus Christ Superstar.  And a Chatat, or sin-offering, at the end of the specified term of deprivation.

For a lot of reasons my synagogue composite has taken its toll on me.  Decided to become an anti-Nazir for a bit.  If the Gabbaim ask me to do something for which I have the skill, that stays.  Otherwise, I put myself in Cherem.  Not planning to change my diet, add to my prudent alcohol intake, or visit the barber more than I already do.  I am planning to protect my space and express thoughts ranging from the relentless pursuit of mediocrity and irritation when I sit at the intersection of Hebrew School and Rabbinical Junior College.  An unhappy consumer who's been denied the invitation of being more than a consumer, or even a creative mind who thrives juggling ideas.  The anti-Nazir.



No comments: