Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Some Getaways


Been doing a good job at getting outside every day, sometimes to tend to my struggling garden, other times to find a park with a bench to sit on.  Made a key decision to get away from my synagogue by essentially firing the VP who fills the Torah reading schedule.  My presence the rest of the year will be more selective.  There are why's, some lingering for years, but it's not a good experience and my mind's contents seem very unwelcome.  This one's a big getaway, but will be kept discrete.  See if anyone notices.

Most getaways are changes in location, usually recreation driven.  I have one hanging on from my last semi-annual projects, a third trip to Maryland.  And there's a picnic which can easily be assembled from leftovers of my elegant over-prepared Shavuot dinner.  And there's a water park session.  Dorney Park seems the best option, also before the half-year concludes.  

I've been doing OK avoiding ruts, though I must say the synagogue's unresponsiveness to me has forced a decision on my presence.  I can deal with the intersection of Hebrew School and Rabbinic Junior College but I'm less favorable to deaf ears on the relentless quest for mediocrity.  There's a limit to the formalities of goot shabbos, yasher koach, nice tie in the absence of better substance.  That's a getaway that's not really a respite.  The day trips, and later real vacations, those are respites.  And I'm ready to drive off to do them.

No comments: