Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Sorting


Now with projects under way, I seem to be entering a sorting phase.  My Space sits a long way from its end point.  Making portions of house suitable for having guests remains impeded by stuff.  I devoted two sessions to My Space,  a usable file box but assigning nearly all the papers, some from the 1970s to a mixture of recycle and shredding, just under ten pounds of the latter.  Then onto stuff.  My office, of blessed memory, had filing supplies that I cannot possibly use.  The operation has been closed nearly twelve years.  I'd give much of it away but I don't know who makes new obsolete paper charts or files folders by date tags.  I'm not at all sentimental about these.  Those organizing shows on TV stress removing stuff from the house that has not been used and will not be used in the foreseeable future, so those filing supplies should find a new home in a dumpster.  I have a box of electric items that also will not be used.  Off to the Delaware Solid Waste receptacles for those.

Quick sorting puts things in categories and boxes.  I have ample permanent storage options in My Space, empty drawers, much of two closets, a few things that serve a mixed purpose of display with storage.  Sort first into the categories, then assign the categories a home.

The living room seems more manageable.  Only two furniture items to address now that new curtains are in place.  Sofa needs replacement and I want to paint a table that I once picked up at a yard sale.  Spray paint seems most expeditious and economical for this, though I could consider more dedicated but more expensive shabby chic options.  I use the table for minor display.  It would just look better with a different color.  The rest is making the room look attractive.  Declutter bookcases.  Settle on displays.  Dust and shine everything.  Maybe repaint if the bookcases can be emptied to enable full wall access.  Replace a pane of broken glass.  New lamp.  Nothing very big.  Within my capacity.

Dining room just needs some cleaning and maybe a little more thought on what is displayed.  Chandelier should be polished.  Cleaning the breakfront and its contents could be a more of an effort that I am willing to exert for a minor purpose.  

As much as I enjoy making lists, these projects are few enough that I can just pick one or two a week and get it done, much like replacing the curtains, which was a much more involved undertaking.  Within my capacity.

No comments: