Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Seeking True Fun


One of my pleasures, though technically not True Fun, has been to watch a TED talk from an accomplished person previously unknown to me, search them and read something they've written, which usually takes far more than the 18 Minutes TED allows for the presentation.  I have a variety of ways of selecting which TED Talk I will watch, yes watch, as visual supplements, mannerism, and even chosen attire are part of the presentation.  One from the most recent series involved how to pursue fun, and even how to identify True Fun from its surrogates.  To say the least, I am fun and laughter deprived, though not absent.  When I got invited to a morning at U of Delaware for a reception to acknowledge something I had created, that met her criteria of True Fun:  the intersection of Playfulness/Connection/Flow.  So I know what it is, which gives me a head start of other readers of her book, of which I am about one third through.

There was a time during Covid isolation where I truly languished.  Not so much now, but I'm not flourishing either.  There are definitely times when I am playful, fewer when I am connected, some where I can identify being in Flow, very few all at the same experience.  I don't feel connected to anything important, indeed react to some experience with unjustified hostility.  Since connection seems the most glaring and frequent lapse, it is unclear at this point whether restoring strained connections is better or creating new connections might be preferable, or perhaps focusing on the ones not yet seriously strained, or most likely some combination.

Finish the book this week, credit its reading as one of my twelve semi-annual projects, and make an effort to acquire her composite of True Fun as my summer proceeds.

No comments: