Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Sipping a Brewski

One of the incentives that our regional blood bank offers as a donation incentive is a coupon redeemable for a discounted beer at several pubs in the state.  They place the coupons at the registration desk where people can take one on arrival, still valid even if turned away that day as a donor by the screening process.  Only one place near my home participates, a small chain that brews its own beer in a central location, then distributes to its restaurants.  I pick a day to redeem it, usually as a reward for completing some notable project at home by 4PM, then link my presence to their Happy Hour which runs from 3-6PM weekdays.  Not only did that time arrive, but my wife asked to join me.

We picked a spot at the end of their bar, read their beer menu.  I selected one of their own which they said included a saaz hop.  Not knowing what this is, I ran a search, found that it tempers bitterness, and order a pint.  My wife got one from a craft brewery not part of this home network.  It was good.  Carbonation much finer than what I would get from anything I'm willing to purchase at Total Whine, which for price reasons I limit to mass brewers.  I sipped a little, chatted with my wife a little about things that would not generate a complaint.  I need a new carry on, My Space needs the closet emptied of stuff that has no realistic future use, which is most of what's in there now.  I felt pleasant, and I was pleasant.  Took my time sipping and enjoying the fine bubbles.

I don't know when the blood bank promotion ends, though I'm planning another donation shortly after I become eligible in early September.


No comments: