Pages

Friday, August 26, 2022

Took the Day Off


Since I completed my monthly paid writing obligation a couple of days in advance, updated the representative handling my toll violation notices from my stolen license plate and received an onerous task that is better handled with a pre-determined time, I assigned myself sort of a day off yesterday.  Unlike others, I did not assign the time to mental or physical pleasures, just not doing some of the things that grate on me.  It was a treadmill day, and I faithfully performed the session at its assigned length and intensity.  I kept up with washing dishes.  I even timed a session to slog through the family room clutter.  Yet it was also a rare day that I didn't go to Microsoft Word or respond to anything on social media in a substantial, erudite way, though still tried to be helpful to some of the Jewish queries on Reddit.

Like most days in retirement, the best parts are connecting with one or more other people, which I got to do on an errand to pick up a package of mini-challot for shabbos.  My soulmate of discontent from the synagogue monitors the store's Kosher section, not on the store's payroll, so we got a chance to exchange notes on the congregation, he as a renegade, me as a malcontent but not yet a defector.  Conversation mostly about piddled opportunities, in-crowds, the relentless pursuit of mediocrity, and now with a search for a new Rabbi, secrecy.  Absolutely convinced me to sample next shabbos at their rival synagogue.

Went out for a soda, a very ooky WaWa soda with too little cola syrup and too high a price.  My last one there for a while.  

Slept poorly, but now in a better frame to do the avoided task at the assigned time, then maybe reward myself with a Dunkin Donuts Latte when I do a good job.  And treadmill too.

No comments: