Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Slept Through Alarm


Sleep Hygiene has been a struggle.  Each day starts, or is supposed to, with a buzz to my left wrist from an iTouch Slim at 6:30AM, to which I respond but forcing myself upright for daily dental hygiene.  Those hours preceding the vibratory jolt vary, with few nights really continuous sleep from lights out the night before to the morning demarcation signal.

On occasion, I will intentionally await the morning buzz, acknowledge it, but for one reason or another, usually rationalized as legit at the time, opt to delay getting up.  Those times are few.  Not noticing the signal almost never happens, but it did today.  Ironically, I was awake about 40 minutes before, committed myself to the final less than an hour of snooze, before moving on to the only day this week when I can count on being around other people.  I also resolved not to check the time before the signal appeared.  It took an unusually long time.  While the ability to judge how much time has actually elapsed from perception is not very good, as any SAT taker will well remember, I felt surprised that I had not been aroused up yet.  I glanced not at my iTouch Slim, but at the red digital numbers of the alarm clock behind me.  The out of bed time was twenty minutes before.

I felt pretty good, probably better than I would have if interrupted from what must have been more than a superficial sleep stage by the alarm.  Sat up for a few seconds to get my bearings, then on with the rest of today.

No comments: