Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Making Milchig

Shavuot appears at an awkward time, Thursday night through Shabbos.  I've kept current with the nightly count of the Omer, nearing its completion.  Dairy meals are traditional, one that I have maintained.  This requires a surprising amount of preparation, starting with a moratorium on fleishig.  Final fleishig meal last night, all fleishig dishes in some stage of washing, with sink to be converted back to milchig by day's end.

I like cooking dairy.  Maybe I could have made it as a vegetarian, though not a vegan.  We'll start with a quiche pre-yontiff.  Then for the Holiday, a lasagna, blintzes, a challah, and a linzer torte.  Maybe get a bottle of white wine and replace my supply of beer.  Ordinarily I would go to shul, but we're on suspension for Covid-19.  My general disenchantment with public worship takes a little break on Shavuot.  I kinda like Akdamut, even if a little long, the interrupted Haftarah, and Ruth which is of just the right length and always done well.  Enduring Yizkor is the price for this, importance connects on an intellectual level but never executed well.  Personally I connect much better with individual Yahrtzeits.

But a few day's mastery at the stove and oven with antecedent preparation makes for a proper culmination of the Homer Omer.

Cheese Blintzes Recipe | James Beard Foundation

No comments: