Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Virtual Shul

Like much of the world, medical care and food shopping have been deemed essential services but public worship has been set aside.  The institutions that sponsor this have not disappeared, and there have been some attempts at surrogates.  An old friend serves as a senior pastor at his Protestant Church in Massachusetts where he streamed his last sermon.  I listened to it, coming away impressed by its thoughtfulness and its eloquence, not something my own congregation duplicates.  He posted the reality of his presentation which looked a lot more like a studio than an active place of worship, though it was definitely better to watch my friend deliver his sermon than it would have been to read it online.

My own synagogue's attempt at social distancing has been disappointing to me personally, though I've not polled anyone else.  I don't miss not being there and it is unlikely that I will restore an online presence.  The offerings seem Hebrew school like with an ulterior motive of linking it with a service or part of a service.  It probably salvages community but I find it more like being a spectator.  I'm really not part of anything that goes on there, a person of useful skill but not useful perspective.  Online just exaggerates that impression.  Instead, I prefer to be part of the action, at least for the two hours or so that I am present on shabbos morning.  Those personal greetings, whether handshake or surrogate, have a sincerity that screens do not.  If I am going to listen to Rabbis on video or audio, they are readily available with more profound insights than we receive from our weekly sermons.  I may as well watch those.  It is being on-site and interactive that makes all the difference. 

Westminster Synagogue


Eventually we will reassemble.

No comments: