Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Ready for Drug Holiday

My daily medicines number six but only four by prescription. Nose and tummy I'm on my own.  Flonase is largely innocuous, which is why it has become otc, and for me very effective.  I do not look cushingoid but you never know the subtleties of bone effects.  My sinuses are fine.  Having run out about a week ago, rhinitis has remained largely in remission, or at least acceptable to me without treatment.  I had intended to get another bottle, but they didn't have it on my last trip to Shop-Rite so I started my Drug Holiday here.

Drug holiday | Mumblings of a 30 something.On my last resupply of Omeprazole, Walgreens had extended release capsules in lieu of the tablets I usually take.  Remarkable improvement in symptoms of chronic esophagitis.  Now a month into this, I wonder if healing is sufficient to suspend it.

Citalopram was intended to take my aggressive edge off and make me more focused, which it did.  Periodically I feel dragged out, not mentally sharp.  This sensation is returning.  Time to suspend this a while and hit the reset button.

Rosuvastatin may be more problematic.  It works well, having failed other statins.  My compliance has approached 100%.  I am also a bit achy though not in the classic locations of statin myalgia.  I have a cardiology appointment upcoming so I'll keep it going in anticipation of her wanting another lipid panel.  Once done, suspend the pills a week and see what happens to the muscles.

My antihypertensives stay.  I have no cough from the ACE inhibitor and no adverse effects that I can tell from the calcium channel blocker.  The BP effect has been inconsistent though clearly lower since the calcium channel blocker was added.  Those stay.

Filling my weekly pill container can be a little like the Roach Motel where the medicines check in but they don't check out.  Overt side effects are usually apparent, subtle ones less detectable until a comparison without the medicine becomes available.  Hypercholesterolemia and hypertension are generally permanent.  Things being taken for symptoms often are not.  Time to suspend what is expendable and reassess.

No comments: