Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Supermarket

Grocery shopping has adapted in part to our Coronavirus pandemic with restricted outings.  Supermarkets and pharmacies and Walmart are the final public gatherings.  Shop-Rite's weekly news circular dropped to two pages, mostly without coupons, suggesting that maybe they really don't want too many people shopping there.

My recent bill came to about $94.  Some things were discounted like pineapples and some varieties of apples.  Some things seemed expensive like coffee and potatoes.  Some scarcities like kosher poultry had resolved, others like yeast or whole fish remain.  You can pick up single fruit from the bins but not single donuts or bagels.  Paper products seemed ample but I didn't devote much attention to that aisle.

By order of the Governor, everyone wore a facial mask.  Most were commercially obtained.  Mine was one of the few improvised by You Tube instructions.  And I left my reusable bags in the car so now I have oodles of plastic bags with the recycling options suspended.

We'll eat rather well for more than a week but I think I still want to try to find some yeast.

How the Supermarket Has Changed in the Last 30 Years | Fortune

No comments: