Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Could Use an Adventure

Our Covid-19 pandemic becomes gradually less intrusive with each passing week.  Delaware Choral Arts held a live concert with restrictions on attendance.  In-person worship has returned to my synagogue.  Osher Institute plans to open its building and conduct live classes with the coming semester.  In-person dining remains shvok, though travel has become more commonplace.  I do not know how our theme parks have done or if campers, hunters, and explorers have resumed their personal challenges.  Thrill experiences were put on hold.  Those who seek them out must be eager to move forward.

I've never been a real thrill seeker.  I used to like amusement parks, especially the roller coasters, until my inner ear judged otherwise a few amusement parks ago.  At the water park, I will try a tame slide but devote more time to the lazy river or wave pool.  On the highway I drive at the speed of traffic and defer to the aggression of the NASCAR wannabes.  No hang gliding, bungee jumping, or parachuting.  No taking my chances as a pedestrian in an unsafe neighborhood to experience diversity up front.

It's not that I reject adventure, just define it in a risk averse way.  I regret not having set a day of white water rafting as one of my day trips or going out deep sea fishing, or even snorkeling at a resort.  There are suitable thrills that go beyond simply new experiences.  Covid-19 should not serve as an excuse for what is really being timid.  



No comments: