Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Lower Desk Functional

In my pursuit of having something to show for my effort each day, I devoted attention to my lower desks.  First, my two desks are part of my identity, not fully attained until I entered private practice where I purchased a massive wooden executive model at a DuPont company clearance sale.  As an employee I had a desk to call my own.  At home I purchased a top and two metal files from Conran's as my primary work space which serves as the focal destination of My Space now.  And our living room has a nook just right for a secretary style desk, pleasantly styled but not frequently used, to demarcate the part of our living room that I consider mine.  The desk in My Space has a dedicated place for lighting and for my laptop and for my coffee cup.  The wooden downstairs desk has been more an invitation to place stuff that needs a flat surface when you enter the house from the nearby front door.  It also functions as a receptacle for papers that need to be relocated from the kitchen table to enable eating.  For weeks, maybe even months, it has housed a pile of papers on the right half surface, books and assorted non-papers on the left half.  Making it functional has been on my daily task list almost as long.  Finally, clearing this became the afternoon's principle initiative.

Taking some unused files and adhesive file folder labels, I took all the papers off the surface, sorting and filing as I went.  A few things needed to go upstairs, either for filing or to be placed in a more proper location, a few things could stay.  Not only do I now have a surface suitable for sitting and enjoying the massage unit on that desk's chair, but I have sorted papers that can go in usable files.

Despite my possessiveness about that nook, I do very little there.  Write checks, mostly.  It is an attractive space though, nicely decorated, pleasant to look at, and the massage cushion keeps it as a destination.  And most importantly, perhaps, I retain possession.


No comments: