Pages

Friday, November 19, 2021

Those Snoozed Have Returned


While op-eds of the toxic or intrusive nature of social media abound, I've not been inundated by anti-vaxxers, anti-Semites, not an alarming input from Trumpists or proselytizers.  I use my ability to regulate what appears on the screen pretty well, though unwelcome advertisers each get a second or two to imprint my cerebral cortex in exchange for the fees that support my access to what has been more useful than harmful.  I do less well creating a barrier to nudniks, those people who have some personal merit, ranging from a smidgen to a lot, who have nothing better to do than incessantly fill up my FB feed.  When it gets out of hand I snooze them for thirty days.  As much as I enjoy the interactive nature of the Post-Dispatch and the thoughtfulness of its reporters, I really don't need to scroll through thirty posts.  Even more so for somebody I don't know at all but who found me somewhere and for somebody who I also have never met but knows other family members who can sometimes post provocatively and sometimes abhorrently.  They all get snoozed more due to excessive volume than repulsive content.  

Apparently a month ago my patience must have reached its limit, as all three of those snoozed have returned on consecutive days.  So far none are out of hand, though the P-D's volume is skirting the edge.

Or I could snooze myself, which I have, something with its merits and limitations. Not yet.

No comments: