Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Not Renewing

In the pandemic, I acquired some new electronic subscriptions.  Prior to that, I wanted to obtain two periodicals as a semi-annual initiative, one Jewish, one Mental.  Thus began subscriptions to The Forward and The Atlantic.  Both are on auto-renewal.  The Atlantic writing has been superb, The Forward more spotty, but good choices each.  I even contribute my own comments periodically to The Forward with responses from their editor or journalists.

The Pandemic also brought a few enticing electronic subscriptions.  I purchased the computer version of Curiosity Stream for a bargain price the first year, slightly higher at auto-renewal but still a good value, though watched less.  And Bari Weiss, NY Times defector, author of a very fine work on anti-Semitism, attracted me with her Substack site, initially titled Common Sense, then renamed to Free Press.  It was also on auto-renew, not really a bargain.  Several months ago I took it off auto-renew.  This subscription expires in a few days.  While it has a few hundred thousand subscribers, enough to hire staff, I find it too much of an echo chamber.  Basically they created a pinata of Progressive ideology and invited readers to poke it with their verbal sticks.  A soapbox for the illiberal.  Not for me.

That leaves me with $50 to subscribe to something else.  Maybe I will, maybe not.


No comments: