Pages

Monday, January 9, 2023

Oat Milk


My coffee needs to be tamed down.  I have tried many additives:  heavy cream, light cream, half-and-half, whole milk which is the default, 2% milk, non-fat milk phooey, pareve Coffee Rich which has gotten hard to find, liquid Coffee Mate and its variants which I stopped buying even if discounted.  And those are the liquids.  I keep a stash of powders, Coffee Mate or generic facsimile, little packets mostly from airline trips which might be pareve but are usually dairy.  And flavorings.  Cinnamon, Pumpkin Spice my at home default, nutmeg, cardamom, chocolate powder, mostly tasteless vanilla powder.  Rarely sugar, and even then only brown sugar, with the disclaimer that powdered lightener probably has sugar too.  Rarely honey.  Stevia, Equal, Agave all phooey but sampled at one time or another.  Even the stuff El Exigente finds too inferior to purchase but I don't can have its limited palatability enhanced by what is at hand.g

I've not had Oat or Almond milk, probably by intent.  But for $1.99 a quart discounted at Shop-Rite, it made my maybe list.  I did not know it came in varieties.  I picked the creamy option.  Container was bottle-shaped, roughly like a liquor bottle with broad round base and narrow neck.  Unlike mass-produced liquid coffee creamer, it did not come in flavors other than vanilla, nor did it have a pouring spout.  You have to unscrew the top each time you want to pour some.

I thought it adulterated the basic taste of coffee.  It may be an acquired taste but I've not yet acquired it.  Don't know how long it keeps.  Since it is made as a milk substitute it may be a multitasker, suitable for quiche or other places where milk appears in the recipe, though I wouldn't consider it for preparations like Horn & Hardart Macaroni and Cheese that require nearly a half gallon of milk.  Will do my best to use this up but it won't be a repeat purchase, even if discounted again.

No comments: