Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Out to Breakfast


Regular exercise with periodic increases of effort deserves a reward, especially when I've achieved the ability to distinguish before and after.  This being a day of scheduled treadmill omission and a late OLLI class, I treated myself to breakfast.  I used to do that a lot more than I do as covid restrictions made the outing unattractive and mornings of platelet donations have been suspended for insufficient donor hemoglobin readings.  Not many incentives.   Moreover, the experience has deteriorated from when I did this with more regularity.  Recently I went to a previous place that I had shunned for not wanting to look at a star with TRUMP across its middle.  Food largely the same as a few years ago, prices higher.  New places nearby disappoint.  So for this outing back to my tried and true, though with a not up to baseline food preparation a few months back.  Committed myself to their best, or at least most reliable.  Blueberry pancakes, whipped butter, and commercial syrup washed down with coffee.  Prices considerably higher, pancakes notably with less of an airiness, probably real butter and same syrup.  Weak coffee.

The Great Resignation has taken its toll on restaurants.  Loyal laid off, sustained by government checks, then returning to the workforce but in establishments that offer more stability.  Once busy grill close to empty.  A single waitress on duty who remained efficient.  Counter closed and south half of restaurant similarly closed.  Takeout shelves that tempt with pies and cookies empty.  Pancakes slightly better than what I could make at home, though Pearl Milling Company, nee Aunt Jemima mix, enables pretty light fluffy pancakes at home with little effort.  And I make better coffee at home.

But as much I enjoy different food and no cleanup in exchange for not that much money, going out also means I acquire time away with myself.  I purchase a meal, but also rent space at a table.  I brought a writing pad and pen, jotting thoughts of ideas I would like to commit to my computer's hard drive and maybe share via cyberspace later.  That went well, and may have served a more important purpose than the calories which can be obtained in other ways.  A pad of paper, yes.  Distractions, no.


No comments: