Pages

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Places for Day Trips

While three day trips spread over six months often appears on my semi-annual projects, this cycle I moved the category I assigned the category to Self in lieu of reading three books, which I would do anyway.  Planning where to go often engages me at least as much as going there.

Mostly my car will get me where I want to go, leaving me an hour or two of Me Time en route.  The exceptions are NYC and to a lesser extent DC where parking and traffic mar the trip.  At each place I've been to the major tourist attractions, though I never could have too much of the Metropolitan or the Smithsonian.  Still, each city has places I've not been such as the Tenement Museum or Eldridge Street Museum or Ellis Island.  And friends to meet live there.  So NYC, probably Manhattan, could be one of the three if public intercity transit can get me there and back economically on the same day.

I have a fondness for Water Parks.  A new one opened near me, and I've never been to Great Adventure.  Hersheypark is another place that can never have enough visits, between the amusement rides and the aquatic features.  Not terribly expensive either.  

I like our seashore.  Been to one beachfront state park this season.  Could go to another.

And I like museums, which are everywhere.  Same with historical sites, many in easy driving range.  I've not been to Valley Forge in decades.

Industrial tours are a possibility.  Herr's, Harley, Crayola.  And breweries and wineries, not necessarily a day trip destination but a stop that enhances the destination.

Assemble a list.  Draw a radius of 130 miles from home on a map application.  See what's there.  See what going round trip to Manhattan entails.  Pick three.



No comments: