Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Blocks of Time


What might I be doing right now?  And for how long before something gives?  That might be attention span if I am reading, legs if I am exercising, competition from something else that I should be doing or might prefer to do.  

If I not only commit myself to rising from bed at 7AM and not return to bed until 10PM, but really keep those hours, there should be more than enough hours to complete all but one of my SMART goals for this semi-annual project cycle.  My Space should sparkle.  Closets should serve their optimal purposes.  I can write and submit for others to read what my mind processes.  I can entertain guests.  Reading quotas can get done.  Fifteen hours every day should enable that.

It once did.  Except it is not really fifteen hours of focus on the twelve initiatives.  It is a measure of fatigue that arises before 10PM.  If I want to work on something at a coffee shop, I need to get there and back and order the coffee.  None of my twelve SMART goals other than some travel destinations really require me to leave my house.  But I do leave my house, as my car is my freedom.  None of the twelve projects make any significant progress while I am in transit.

Instead, I think a better approach would be to allocate specific blocks of those fifteen daily hours, with priority going to the ones I will make excuses not to do, primarily matching the contents of my mind and imagination with my keyboard sessions.  Or my efforts to upgrade my house or my relationships with a timer.

And start today.

No comments: