Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Not A Lot Happens

Agreed to a volunteer assignment at OLLI.  Registration for the Spring Semester began a few days ago.  In this day of cyberspace, most people find it more convenient to just open their laptops and follow the instructions.  Even with a lot of experience using the computer, I did not find the process entirely intuitive, so it is understandable that in a population of Seniors, others will find the navigation less than user-friendly.  OLLI anticipates this, setting up sessions on-site during the registration period where volunteers can guide those who seek assistance enrolling.

I volunteered last year, assigned the final session of the week.  Essentially nobody showed up and I left a half hour before closing time.  This year I also got assigned the final hours of the final session.  I anticipate that those who need this assistance have already gotten it, so I suspect I will be something of a Maytag Repairman waiting for nothing to happen.

Being assigned a table, just me and my laptop and a thermos of coffee with no other activity and no place else to go creates its own opportunities.  I can write some of what I wanted to write but haven't.  My Hoopla e-book looks like a challenge to read.  Maybe tackle the long chapter that awaits.  Study the next parsha from my weekly online sources.  Contact old friends by email or social media.  Arrange my next travel.  I can do all these in My Space but distractions abound.  No breaks to put laundry away or tidy my two desks, or print anything.  Just me, my laptop, a few papers to frame what I want to do, a thermal mug of good coffee, and attention to whoever stops by. 


No comments: