Pages

Monday, August 5, 2024

Writing a Short Story

My entry to Moment Magazine's Short Story Contest lost.  I thought it might be competitive, as did the ChatGPT review.  Then I reviewed, though not carefully read, the three that got published.  They had a subtlety that mine lacked.  Moreover, the writers were either pros, quasi-pros, or had experience with previously successful submissions.

My own writing tends more towards journalism and essay than creativity. With some experience, both what I submitted and what got chosen, I think I can give a second try.  They allow three months.  The 5000-word limit is more than ample.

Sometimes the winners gave a single story like spending a Christmas Eve shift as a homeless shelter volunteer.  The grand winner gave three stories, all set in the same place, marginally connected.

While I work at a disadvantage, there remains the challenge of creating a work of longer length and different style than my usual output.  This year I also have an automated editing program.  I should be able to assemble something more competitive by the deadline.

No comments: