Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Fishing Season Initiatives

Thus far my cumulative catch totals zero.  Not that I plan to dine on anything I extract from the local waterways if my skill improves, but I have enjoyed the quiet time outdoors, advice from other fisherman nearby, and advancing skill for which there is little doubt.

While between classes at OLLI, I tied my first successful nail knot, using a straw from WaWa snipped into a small segment.  My dexterity and close vision leave a lot to be desired so I connected two shoelaces, though if I can keep track of which nylon monofilament connects to the reel and which connects to the hook, I can probably do this with real line in the very near future.

My equipment does not need replenishing.  I have an ultralight rod and standard rod, each with spinning reel, though the ultralight green one could use some minor duct tape to hold a slipping line guide.  My lines coil when casted, likely a consequence of never replacing them and storing on the reels for extended times.  I have a fly kit, even have waders, thus the desire to master the nail knot and the blood knot.  I have a standard rod with casting reel, one that backlashes with each attempted cast.  A skill worth improving.  I do not have salt water gear.  A macho looking rod and reel for this would run about $100.  And I like driving downstate to the Indian River Inlet which attracts many anglers, but some of them have mid-sized pond rods.  Ample variety of hooks, lures, weights, bobbers.  My State Park card is permanent and my age no longer requires a state license.  Ready to resume once the days warm up a bit to where I am comfortable and the fish become less selective about what looks like food.  Very soon.


Image result for nail knot

No comments: