Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

SSRI Holiday

My daily pill container once had seven tablets.  Multivit not renewed after finally completing the contents of a one year supply of horse pills that took a lot more than a year to finish.  I've just never seen beriberi, scurvy or night blindness in all the years I took care of patients.  Some probably took a vitamin.  The majority did not.  The popularity of these escapes me, but also drew me in at one time.  Not expensive but not efficacious either.  Aspirin can be had at the Dollar Tree for $1 for a package of 60 tablets which is $6 a year, even less than the multivit.  The efficacy of this for people my age who do not have heart disease, which would be me if my stress test is accurate, does not seem to be there when studied in the manner of mainstream medical studies.  I've not had any adverse effects but people in the study groups have.  Just finished my weekly supply one week ago and never went back to reloading it into the weekly container on Sundays.  My need for an NSAID varies.  There are weeks when lumbago of some type makes this a scheduled medicine.  It has been my good fortune to go into remission, making this a prn medicine.  I keep a bottle between the front seats of my car but no longer put a daily dose in my case. And it delays my platelet donations which might be among the more useful things I do for people.  I could say the same about that prostate stuff the doctor prescribed a few years ago.  It alleviated symptoms which then stayed in remission after I stopped taking the medicine.  Usage has been minimal.  It is not a prn medicine so when I need it again, it will reappear in the weekly case, but hasn't for a while.  My PPI is still there.  The intent of these drugs is a two week course unsupervised medically for GERD.  And I have stopped it for brief periods only to have GERD symptoms come right back.  An EGD showed no Barrett's or other serious disorder, so the SSRI is for symptoms which have demonstrated themselves as either persistent or recurrent.  That one stays.  There is a statin.  My cholesterol level is well beyond dietary modification, as was my father's who developed symptomatic angina at an age slightly less than mine and a CABG at an age somewhat older than mine.   The medicine has been efficacious, at least by lab numbers if not by patent coronaries, when I am faithful about taking it.  The cost is not burdensome.  I had transient minor myalgia when my current high grade treatment was introduced but in recent years no adverse effects have been noted.  That one stays.  So does the ACE inhibitor.  My BP has been consistently above optimal when I have let it lapse.  There have been no side effects.  So my pill case in recent weeks has been depleted to three:  PPI, ACE, statin.

There remains one more variable, the SSRI.  I might have ADHD by childhood restlessness and inattention but I've never been treated or even tried a stimulant.  As a 60-something, I've succeeded pretty well and rarely if ever speculate to what loftier heights I might have soared had my attention span exceeded that of a Brussels sprout.  Or maybe I wouldn't have does as well.  What I seem to have, though, is compulsivity and hyperawareness.  I can be maniacal to detail, abrasive and impatient, particularly with people less astute than me.  INTJ's like me tend to be that way so it's not necessarily pathological but often not helpful either.  Maybe a dozen years ago I asked my doctor a therapeutic trial of an SSRI might improve this, remembering Peter Kramer's Listening to Prozac published a few years after the medicine became available but listened by me on audiobook quite a few years later.  While these drugs are antidepressants primarily, the have a role in tempering compulsivity.  Dr. Kramer described a patient whose personality, focus, and productivity soared on the drug with a setback on withdrawal and return of favorable results on retreatment.  That's a pretty fair prototype for me.  The pills had declared themselves safe, if not annoying at times. 

Starting with office samples of Prozac 10mg I avoided side effects.  It made me sleepy which is better than making me wired.  Paxil samples were easy to come by.  I lasted about three days.  It made me feel like I took something.  Then 20 mg Prozac by prescription for a while.  Eventually Celexa came out, better tolerated by office samples, then continued indefinitely by prescription with lapses.

This month, I thought it time to hit the reset button.  Avoided my shul on shabbos, withheld Facebook, withheld Celexa (citalopram), bringing the pill case to its current three.  Facebook hiatus a very good thing to do with return next month in a highly scheduled way, much like I did for Sermo six months back.   My shul in its current circumstances still annoys me but I will return in a scheduled way and maybe return to tossing blogbarbs at the Rabbi and Executive Committee.  Not having the SSRI, though, took a real toll and has been resumed.

I found myself mentally a little sharper without it, sometimes hyperaware, sometimes hyperfocused.  I also found myself unusually impatient, overreacting to minor glitches like losing something which may also hint that I didn't pay attention to detail as well, too eager to move on to the next activity.  I was not as nice a person, much as Dr. Kramer described his patient in his book when on and off Prozac.  I exercised less but tolerated the effort the same.  My appetite seemed unchanged but weight might be up about a pound.  Insomnia unaffected.

Before/After assessment shows that I like myself better when toned down a little, so the pill case for the evening doses has returned to four.

Image result for citalopram


No comments: