Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

1.5 Liter Wine Bottles


Soda has been banned from my house with rare exceptions.  Seltzer, plain or flavored, offers substitute fizz with fewer noxious additives.  So does beer, which I now usually keep on hand.  It is consumed one can or bottle at a time, rarely more than two in any week.  I keep canisters of lemonade and iced tea mix.  The manufacturers need to prod their food scientists to improve the speed at which the sugar dissolves.  It is possible, as Turkey Hill cold beverages in one or two-liter plastic containers never have sugar sludge on the bottom.  Fizzy soda on Passover, when the yellow top to the 2-Liter PET bottle designates cane sugar.  And when I go on a road trip, and rarely on an especially hot day, the WaWa or Turkey Hill dispenser with its endless customization tempts me to a liter of iced soda I would not otherwise drink.  While intended for health, measured as weight control, my weekly weigh-ins have not ticked downward.

Wine remains a special occasion beverage, purchased by the glass at a restaurant or bottle for when toiling in my kitchen created an elaborate dinner.  Guests, birthdays, Mother's Day.  They get a 750 ml bottle of wine.  As a beverage for an ordinary supper, as a late evening sip, or as a pre-supper wind down, wine is too expensive.  Its shelf life expires before I can finish a bottle's contents.  Beer, seltzer, lemonade, and iced tea serve the food wash-down function better.  Swigs of high volume do this better than sips designed to distribute smaller amounts on the oral surfaces for flavor appreciation.

At one time I bought mass-produced wine as a beverge.  It came in 1.5 liter bottles.  Popular brands.  Mondavi, Gallo, Taylor from NY State.  My default when I could not decide was Almaden with its lightly tinted green bottle, flattened front and back surfaces, and replaceable cork caps.  It's been decades since I even looked for these.  At the time, screw tops meant cheap wine, but also wine that could be stored for later.  Home devices to rid the bottle of noxious oxygen had recently come to market, but for this, a replaceable cork or screw top would do.  Sometimes they announced the grape.   Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot though I hardly ever opted for red.  More commonly it had a generic identification.  Chablis, White Blend, Rose, Red.  Use whatever grapes could not be otherwise purposed to minimize a winery's version of Shrink.

I would drink two stemmed glasses of my selection with dinner on consecutive days, or rarely have one glass as a nightcap.  I worked long hours in that era, raised a family who drank soda nightly without fail, and could use an excuse to not drive anywhere after supper.  It generally changed to a much less pleasant taste for the final third of the bottle, though never vinegar.  Sometimes I suffered through to the end with nightcaps, sometimes found a cooking purpose, rarely spilled the remainder in the sink.

Now older, retired empty nester, introduced to bourbon on a road trip through Kentucky to Mammoth Cave a few years ago, and soda avoider.  Maybe get another big bottle of wine to replace the brown distillery liquid that I sometimes pour myself at 4PM or offer an alternative to lemonade from a 4C Mix at supper.  My preferred liquor outlet is a mega-mart.  My state and the one adjacent to it restrict alcohol sales to places dedicated to that purpose.  They had an entire aisle devoted to large bottles of 1.5 and 3L as well as boxes.  And I knew from many dinner purchases previously that technology of bottling has improved.  A screw top no longer doomed the liquid contents.

I roamed the aisle.  Almaden with its unique bottle gone.  Taylor nor more.  Gallo no longer a default.  All bottles were now cylindrical.  Some had screwtops.  Many had non-replacable corks, with the expanded size likely intended for parties where guests would consume that amount in one session.  There were wineries I never heard of from places I am unlikely to ever visit.  They replaced the mass producers from California.  Some specified a grape, some went generic.  Nearly all cost $12-15.  A bargain adjusted for inflation that has occurred since the era when I sought out Mondavi and Almaden. 
I wonder why the American mass producers withdrew from that market.  In the end, my half-case of the Moosehead and Squirrel that prompted my trip already secure in the bottom of my cart, I added an Australian Chardonnay, Martin's Pick-Up brand with what must be an outback vehicle as their logo, to the cart.  Roughly the same price as those twelve beer bottles.

I opened the bottle with supper the next day.  Not bad.  Two stem glasses.  Food pairing, Gorton's Crunchy Fish Fillets heated in the oven and peas.  Intended to be a beverage more than a fine stimulation of taste sensors.  And that's what it was.

No comments: