Pages

Monday, July 15, 2024

Descaling


The light at the very bottom of my Keurig Express signalled that the device needed descaling.  A small inconvenience for the very large convenience of having coffee in many varieties with little personal effort.  This cleansing, maybe three a year, needs some attention.  It is not difficult.  It is not even that tedious.  More an interruption of routine.

While the protocol is printed, I prefer to follow a YouTube video which has the advantage of offering a heads-up to potential snafus.  I've not had one yet.  This video runs about eight minutes, though I need to pause it periodically while my vinegar or water runs its consecutive cycles.  I keep a quart of vinegar in the pantry for when this procedure arises.  

Does the coffee taste any different for having done this?  I cannot tell.  To avoid a vinegar essence, I run an extra rinse, but after doing this a few times, that's never happened.

The Keurig Machine is one of those marvelous creations.  It's handy.  Never breaks.  Descaling a few times a year has never been onerous.  And in exchange I can get coffee of any manner, either via k-cup or from a cannister scooped into an adapter.  Brewed while I wash dishes, retrieve the paper, or do something else.  Mug would have needed washing however the coffee is brewed.  Cleaning the adapter not much different than cleaning a Melitta cone.  An underappreciated expression of somebody's creativity.

No comments: