Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Staying Cordial


I find myself slipping into a combative disposition.  As much effort as I put into following Micah's guidance in Haftarah Balak, recited around the world, deferring to rules, defaulting to kindness, and humility in every action seems different from how my frontal lobes and amygdala were wired together.  Irritations and annoyances occur with enough regularity, that at the close of 2023 I took Arthur Brooks' advice and started keeping a daily log of something that annoyed me each day.  Rarely I have to grope for an event, but most days something pushed my buttons.  Or somebody pushed my buttons.  His recommendation also included a revisit at one month and six months.  As he predicted, none of the daily entries proved enduring.

A sense of fairness and what is just is also probably ingrained into our individual cognitive functions.  These are easy to violate.  People pushing ahead of the line as a personal experience becomes people sneaking across the southern USA border while others wait their turn as a communal experience.  Consensus to stop it is pretty widely accepted.  Cruelty as a technique is probably not what Micah had in mind but it registers as just response to a major infraction in many minds.

My Mad At list has permanent and transient entries.  My Bank, maybe The Banks.  My Shul expands to The Machers.  Expectedly subpar encounters at the grocery checkout expands to all companies that hire people I really would prefer not to cope with.  Specific encounters generalize too easily.  We live in an era of mistrust, much of it deserved.  Unfortunately, we are not left with a good way of separating out what should be embraced from what should be dispatched.

My medical community probably had the right idea when it established universal precautions early into the AIDS era.  Just put on the protective gear.  Assume every encounter is a risk.  It is easier to remain hospitable when there is no threat, or at least its potential has been contained.

Or keep the combative signals, no matter how appropriate the hormonal-neural connections find them, without a public expression.  Follow the rules myself, be kind, and don't self-promote.  Part 1 of most Honor Systems.  Be Good.  Widely implemented.  Part 2 is harder.  Turn in the Cheaters.  Not as well implemented, but essential to a functioning Honor System.  I don't know how well Micah would have done with that.  


No comments: