Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Temu Order


My order has not come, though it is not yet late.  I did not know what Temu was, though after placing my first order some message from the company arrives in my inbox at least twice a day.  And I've had a chance to explore the company.  For all its negative press, I only have about $25 at risk.

My exposure started simply enough, and with the help of advertising algorithms far removed from Temu.  A beloved AM/FM radio that I have taken to the beach for decades broke its necklace.  I glued it with rubber cement, which will get it fairly securely to my next beach outing, but is likely to fail again.  The device cost about $5 at a place like Walmart in the 1990s.  Technology is obsolete so unlikely duplicates are made.  Indeed, I could find a few duplicates on eBay, cost about $12 with shipping.  For that, I could get a replacement with more modern features, so I searched Amazon and Walmart which still sell radios of that style and capability for about $15 plus shipping.  Think about it, or maybe defer the purchase until I have another item that boosts me above the free shipping threshold.  When I did my next search, the automated algorithm knew the type of product I wanted, posting on top a picture of a suitable replacement for about $12, shipping included, from a place called Temu, which I had not heard of.  I went to place the order, really having nothing to lose, when up popped some solicitations for other obsolete electronics.  I couldn't pass up a new digital tape recorder for $10.  So I ordered that too.  Credit card swiped, confirmation sent, with a message that these should arrive together in about two weeks.  They will notify me of shipping and delivery by their electronic tracking system, much as other online purchases now do.  Eventually I should have a real cheap AM/FM mini radio and a second digital recorder, each best housed in the secure nylon travel pouch that I wear next to my chest when I go on a trip.

One a thoughtful purchase generated by pseudo need, the other an impulse buy generated by bargain price.  Its attraction was low price, for which people are willing to make compromises.  That experiment has been done many times, with Walmart selling a merger of price and reliability that they call value.  Amazon sells availability and convenience.  Dollar Stores sell low price, and for people of means like me, they also offer something of a treasure hunt, as do yard sales and Goodwill Stores.  Temu seems more like the yard sale, you want it when you see its availability and its price.

Will my two items ever arrive?  Reviews of Temu suggests that they often don't, but I've received a message that mine have been sent out of the factories, as Temu is really a direct interface with the factories which make the products that they sell.  My own risk is small.  A nominal sum on my card, which also offers me a feature to challenge an unsatisfactory transaction.  I don't really need either of the products that I ordered.  So like a yard sale, I purchase As Is, though with a modicum of protection from the credit card issuer.

Moreover, for the radio that I sought, Amazon and Walmart had first dibs.  They lost out for inability to supply at the price I was willing to fork over for a mostly frivolous product.  Temu appeared as an univited back-up.  If my experience proves decent, multiplied by similar reaction from other customers, they will have earned some loyalty for their niche, which the e-retailers in competition will need to address.  If they fail to deliver, their orders will plummet.  Reliability is important in e-commerce, particularly when dollar amounts are more substantial.  The constant online solicitations annoy me.  Once my transaction has completed, it's easy enough to unsubscribe until next time.

No comments: